ICD-10 Updates and Medical Science Courses
Biomedical science education is an important part of ensuring coders’ readiness for ICD-10 training. Leading industry associations have recommended that coders have a significant amount of medical sciences education before taking ICD-10 code set training, and The ICD-10 Solution offers courses in:
Overall course length 75 hours.
- Medical Terminology – Covers principles of building and understanding medical terminology in preparation for ICD-10-CM/PCS.
- Anatomy – Includes instruction on anatomical structure and organs of the body from an ICD-10-CM/PCS perspective.
- Pathophysiology – Covers ICD-10-CM/PCS pathophysiology by body system.
- Pharmacology – Teaches ICD-10-CM/PCS general pharmacology practices.
ICD-10 Medical Sciences Education
The ICD-10 biomedical sciences education offered by ACMP is available through The ICD-10 Updates course, a comprehensive ICD-10 education.
The greater complexity of the ICD-10 code set will require staff to be more familiar with medical terminology, anatomy, pathophysiology, and pharmacology in order to make the best code assignments. Unlike many other biomedical science courses, The ICD-10 Coder Clinical Courses are taught with an ICD-10 focus that ensures staffs learn exactly what they need to know in preparation for the transition to the updated ICD-10.
This course covers the principles of building and understanding medical terminology in preparation for ICD-10-CM/PCS. Curriculum includes:
- Word structure (root words, prefixes, suffixes)
- Word differentiation
- Slang, jargon, and abbreviations
- Foreign terms
The Medical Terminology course includes book-based instruction.
This course is designed with an ICD-10-CM/PCS perspective. The curriculum covers:
- Nervous system
- Cardiovascular system
- Special sensory systems
- Respiratory system
- Gastrointestinal system
- Exocrine and endocrine systems
- Skin and surface tissues
- Muscular system
- Skeletal system
- Urinary and reproductive systems
The Anatomy course includes instruction on anatomical structure as well as organs of the body.
This course covers ICD-10-CM/PCS pathophysiology by body system. The curriculum includes:
- Disease basics
- The skeleton and muscles
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Respiratory problems
- Urinary disease
- Endocrine and exocrine disease
- Nervous system disease and disorders
- Integumentary disease
The Pathophysiology course teaches disease processes with an emphasis on disease entities, diagnosis, and treatment.
This course teaches ICD-10-CM/PCS general pharmacology practices. The curriculum covers:
- Pharmacology basics
- Drug administration
- Pharmacy referencing
- Drug diagnoses, treatment, and therapy
- Drug categories
The Pharmacology course covers specific drugs and their actions and effects.
ICD-10- CM/PCS codes training:
Designed specifically for busy professional coders, these courses build on previous learning from the biomedical science courses and help students develop a comprehensive understanding of the new coding system guidelines.
- ICD-10-CM Code Training – 1 week of training focused on ICD-10-CM (diagnoses) - 25 hours/week.
- ICD-10-PCS Code Training – 1 weeks of training focused on ICD-10-CM – 25 hours/week.
The ICD-10 code training offered by Career Step is available through The ICD-10 updates course, a comprehensive ICD-10 education solution.
Designed specifically for busy professional coders, these ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS training courses build on previous learning from biomedical science courses and help students develop a comprehensive understanding of the new coding system guidelines through a book-based approach and scheduled periodic instructor interaction.
ICD-10-CM Code Training
This course is ICD-10-CM (diagnosis) focused. Its step-by-step approach is designed to help students develop a comprehensive understanding of the new ICD-10 coding system guidelines. The course includes:
1 week of training (recommended 25 hours per week)
Numerous coding exercises by ICD-10-CM chapter and/or specialty
ICD-10-CM Guidelines taught through coding practice exercises
Actual clinical documentation
The ICD-10-CM course is offered entirely online, though the material is taught through a book-based approach and includes scheduled instructor interactions. Students will also have access to the material after completing the course to provide an easy-to-access reference through the ICD-10 transition.
ICD-10-PCS Code Training
This course is ICD-10-PCS (inpatient) focused. Students develop a comprehensive understanding of the new ICD-10 guidelines through a step-by-step, book-based approach. The course includes:
- 1 week of training (25 hours per week)
- Numerous coding exercises by ICD-10-PCS root operation
- ICD-10-PCS Guidelines and coding practice exercises
- Inpatient coding scenarios
- Actual clinical documentation for both ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS inpatient encounters
The Career Step ICD-10-PCS course is offered entirely online, though the curriculum takes a book-based teaching approach and scheduled instructor interactions are included. Students will also have access to the material after completing the course to provide an easy-to-access reference through the ICD-10 transition.